Parents and carers

Where to get support

Thank you again for being part of this study. The interview may have raised questions or concerns that you might like further advice on or help with. We understand that family and friends can offer helpful advice and support but wanted you to know that there are organisations out there that provide a range of support. Some people find these details helpful to keep for future reference.

If you have concerns about your or your young person’s health and wellbeing , we recommend that you talk to your GP. You can also find general health advice on the NHS website.

Safety and mental health
Parenting and relationships
Financial support
Smoking, alcohol and drug abuse




Provides advice on a range of mental health problems, including the types of mental health problem; where to get help; medication and alternative treatments; and advocacy. Visit the Mind website or phone 0300 123 3393 on weekdays from 9am to 6pm       

Samaritans (available 24/7)

Whatever you’re going through, you can contact the Samaritans day or night for support. This is a listening service. Call on 116 123 or email


If you are concerned about domestic violence, please contact Refuge on the free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247.

Young minds

Provides services to parents and carers who are concerned about their child’s mental health, up to the age of 25. You can call the Parent Helpline on 0808 802 5544 on weekdays from 9:30am to 4pm, or use their WebChat service. Visit the Young minds website.

UK Safer Internet Centre

Provides tips, advice, guides and resources to help keep your child safe online. Visit the UK Safer Internet Centre website.



Provides relationship support on issues such as sex, separation and divorce, and parenting. You can schedule a call on their website.

Family Lives

A confidential and free helpline for emotional support, information, advice and guidance on any aspect of parenting and family life 0808 800 222 or on the Family Lives website.

Contact a Family

Provides support, advice and a listening service for families of children with disabilities. Free helpline on 0808 808 3555 on weekdays from 9:30am to 5pm, or Live Chat on their website. You can book a one-to-one 45-minute Listening Ear appointment for parent carers looking for a listening ear, reassurance and practical and emotional support.


Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Your local CAB can offer independent confidential advice online about a range of issues including housing, debt and consumer issues. You can find out more, including where your nearest CAB is, on their website. To speak to someone, call Citizens Advice on their national phone service on 0800 144 8848. 

The Trussell Trust

Offers guidance for those in a financial crisis. Call the free helpline on 0808 208 2138 weekdays from 9am to 5pm. To find your local foodbank, visit the Trussell Trust website.

Working Families

Provides information and advice for parents and carers on the work-life balance such as employment leave rights, negotiating flexible hours, maternity and paternity leave, and claiming tax credits. Call their helpline on 0300 012 0312 weekdays 11am to 2pm or visit their website.


For help quitting smoking, the NHS provides guidance on their website, where you can also identify your local Stop Smoking Service. You can call the Smokefree National Helpline on 0300 123 1044 to speak to a trained advisor on weekdays from 9am to 8pm and on weekends from 11am to 4pm.

Talk to FRANK

Offers free confidential advice on drugs and alcohol. You can text on 82111, call on their 24 hour phone helpline 0300 123 6600, or get advice via a live webchat on their website from 2pm to 6pm any day of the week.